Brand Inspection Information
ITEMS TO REMEMBER...
1. Be sure to give you inspector at least 2-3 days notice prior to when inspection is needed.
2. Inspection is required regardless of whether or not the animal is branded.
3. Inspection is required on all classes of stock (horses, cattle, mules, or donkeys." Registration papers or the lack of registry does not exempt inspection.
4. The definition of a brand for the purposes of this brochure is a permanent mark on the hide of an animal registered with any state as a livestock brand. (tattoos are not brands)
5. Inspection is required at the point of origin unless released by the local inspector. SELLER OR AGENT MUST BE PRESENT AT THE INSPECTION.
An inspection is required:
1. Every time an animal is sold or purchased. (horses, cattle, mules or donkeys) or when any change of
ownership occurs, regardless of whether or not the animal is transported after or prior to the sale.
2. When livestock is to be transported over 75 miles within the boundries of Colorado.
3. Every time livestock leaves the state regardless of circumstances.
CATTLE COMING FROM THE NAVAJO NATION NEED TO BE INSPECTED BY A NAVAJO RANGER. CATTLE COMING FROM NEW MEXICO NEED TO BE INSPECTED BY A NEW MEXICO BRAND INSPECTOR.
More Info......... www.colorado.gov/ag/brands
BRAND INSPECTORS #'S
Chad Moore - Durango ..... 970-442-1213 Wes Lewis - Pagosa ..... 970-264-4389
Jason Blackmer - Cortez ..... 970-565-7280 Cathy Truby - New Mexico .....505-330-4962
Window Rock ..... 928-871-7336 Kayenta, AZ ..... 505-371-5200
Chambers, AZ ..... 928-688-2456